Prevent candle fires
- Never leave a room with a burning candle unattended.
- Place candles on heat resistant and stable surfaces, out of the reach of children and pets.
- Keep any potentially flammable items away from an open candle – think any home decor, curtains and furniture.
Avoid electrical fires
- Don’t use extension cords beyond their intended purpose – whether indoor or outdoor.
- Stay at least 10 feet away from any power lines when using equipment.
- Don’t overload electrical outlets with too many devices giving less of an opportunity that they overheat and cause a fire.
- Having your fireplace inspected and cleaned yearly is important, especially if you use it frequently in the colder months.
- Prevent embers from the fire from coming into your room with a properly placed screen.
- Only burn seasoned wood, rather than wrapping paper or magazine pages.
More safety around your home
- Check ladders or stepping stools for any loose or missing screws, hinges, bolts or nuts before using them.
- Check out our blog for safety regarding safety tips around portable heaters.