In June 2019, the United States Senate declared June to be Great Outdoors Month. Here are some ways you, your friends and family can enjoy the most of nature this summer. In addition, we are sharing fun locations to visit throughout Central Illinois, Central Indiana and Northwest Indiana.
Fun Summer Activities
- Consider renting a kayak or canoe this summer. It is a great way to bond with friends and family while enjoying some beautiful scenery.
- There are many hiking trails all around the United States. Visit alltrails.com to search for trails in your town.
- Visit a campsite where you and your guests can enjoy a bonfire, roast s’mores, and tell scary stories!
- Visit a local farmer’s market or go to a u-pick farm. It is sure to be a fun experience for adults and kids alike – plus delicious and fresh food.
- Have a picnic or set up a hammock and enjoy the sunshine. Don’t forget your SPF and hat!
- Spend a day at the Peoria Zoo a wonderful experience your child is sure to enjoy.
- Visit Perry Farm Park, located in Bourbonnais, for hiking, interacting with animals, visiting a lovely garden, and having a family picnic.
- Looking to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables? Visit Creekside Natural Farm Inc, in Minooka for some delicious produce..
- Annie’s Orchard in West Lafayette is a fun stop for families. You can pick cherries, blueberries, peaches, and nectarines at their U-pick farm.
- The Farm at Prophetstown is a historical place to visit in West Lafayette. Plan a day at the aquatic center where they have a 4,200 square-foot leisure pool with waterslides and a lazy river. The Farm offers plenty of hiking and biking trails.
- The Lafayette Farmer’s Market has been around for over 165 years! Here you will find many vendors to shop and every Saturday you can hear live music while you explore the area.
- Attempt the 3 Dunes Challenge. The Indiana Dunes National Park has plenty of things to do this summer. If you prefer a relaxing option, visit one of the free beaches, such as Kemil Beach or Porter Beach.
- Visit Garwood’s farmer’s market and U-Pick orchard in La Porte. They offer a variety of fruits and vegetables that you and your family can pick! Those with a sweet tooth can stop in for one of their delicious donuts – trust us, you will not be disappointed.
- Check out the European Market, located in Chesterton, on Saturdays during the summer months. Hundreds of vendors gather there and offer products ranging from soaps and clothes to a variety of foods that will give you an authentic taste of Europe.
- Michigan City is home to the beautiful Friendship Botanic Gardens. Here you will find many formal gardens and nature trails and they host different types of events throughout the year, like Cabaret Night and musical concerts.
- Looking for a unique site to visit and take cool photos? Visit the Gabis Arboretum in Valparaiso. This nature preserve features a gorgeous garden railway and the largest collection of oak trees in Indiana.
With so many great outdoor adventures to choose from, you can experience the best of these areas and communities as you observe Great Outdoors Month. Remember to have fun this summer and enjoy the beauty that the Midwest offers us.